Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Organizing Spanish Materials


I got this great idea from www.mymontessorijourney.typepad.com/. I love that Blog by the way. You have to check it out. I have implemented most of her organizing ideas. Her setup was by the months of the school year. Each Fabric bin for each month of the school year. One bin was shared by August/September. In Spanish you teach by topics so my setup is by the topics I teach. For example: one bin is for Culture, one for the alphabet/school supplies, numbers/shapes/colors, animals, etc...

I purchased the shelves and bins from Target. In each bin I put things releated to the topics I am teaching. Here is an example of one bin.

My first bin is labeled with creative memories stickers of school supplies and the letters ABC as seen above. In there I have all of my alphabet flash cards, school supplies flash cards, props, and games related to these topics. Now when it is time to teach about school supplies or teach the ABC's, I know exactly where to find everything!
My bin labels are: ABC/School supplies, numbers/shapes/colors, foods, clothing/body parts, time/calendar/seasons, holidays, animals, culture, family/home.
I thought about a quick way to do this so you do not have to build the shelves by using 3 plastic bins carts. With 3 carts you have the 9 bins. For homeschooling parents, you can have a bin for math, one for language, one for culture, etc...
Happy Organizing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love looking at your set up. we are about to move into a very small house (from an even smaller apartment) and my daughter will have her own room for the first time (she's 2.5). all i know about montessori is what i read on the internet and a book that i have, but i want to learn more. i also want to learn to speak spanish myself, as well as to have my daughter learn it. so i'll be back! good luck with your new blog.

Gigi said...

Thank you! I will be posting ideas for parents to teach Spanish to their children.

Unknown said...

I love your bins! They look really great. I have thought about getting some to set up with things here at home. It's amazing how much they hold! Your blog looks great! One thing you might want to do is allow comments from people who want to use Name/URL. Blogger will let you do that, I know. Then people without a Google account can leave comments as well.