Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Homeschooling Transition

I loved the post Homeschooling the First Year: Transitions from the Homeschool Classroom Group Blog. It had me laughing because Michelle could have been talking about me!!! Read it, you will love it! She is doing a series on homeschooling the first year.

The panic attacks are less these days!!!

Last year was a piece of cake. I was schooling half days and it was pre-k 3 and kinder. So, simple, so easy. Now, it is ELEMENTARY...dum, dum, dummmmm. 1st grade should be easy, RIGHT? Nope, not with Montessori! You've got Language Arts, Mathematics, Geometry, Fractions, Botany, Zoology, Geography, History, Physical Geology, Art, Music, and Religion. I am a teacher but I have had to teach maybe three subjects at a time NOT 12. They really should pay Elementary school teachers more money!!

Also, the days I play referee all day, I don't want to homeschool and the smooth days where everyone is cooperative I feel that I can do it!

When my daughter tells me "Mommy what can we learn? Let's go into the school room so you can teach me something" or I see my son writing, writing, writing, adding, adding, adding, I know I want to be part of this!!

GOOD DAY!

This happened yesterday. Sweet Boy started using the moveable alphabet. He has been doing lots of writing for the past month, all on his own. Just wanting to write and copy stories from books.

He got the moveable alphabet and started to make words



and then decide to make a little story. This is a sentence written right to left and bottom up. "A cat had a hat." I then talked to him about left to right and top to bottom.

He fixed it and wrote another sentence. "His name was chad."


He then decided on his own to write the story on a piece of paper! I was very excited because Sweet Boy is 6 1/2 years old and up to this point had hardly any interest in the moveable alphabet and did not show a lot of interest in writing either.



And are you asking what is Bella doing when all of this is happening? She is doing exactly what he is doing! Sometimes, she will take his papers and trace his numbers and letters. She will ask me to help her make a word with the moveable alphabet and she will then trace the letters.

Both kids make pretend lists, after lists and check off what they have "accomplished"! Lists are part of my life so they have made them part of theirs!!!

So, as far as today, we are schooling at home!
Happy Sunday!

4 comments:

2 Pequeños Traviesos said...

Oh, I totally know what you mean! I've been playing referee to much lately and BELIEVE ME I've thought of taking one back to school and the other one to a daycare. There! I said it! But then I BREATHE DEEPLY and go back to normal...
Girl, it's tough... but worth it!
Big hugs

N from the Learning Ark said...

I am so happy that things are working out for you. When I have a bad day home-schooling I think of the good days and feel at peace. I hate being the referee and some days when I feel i am, we take a break for a while and do something completely different for an hour. After that everyone is a lot better settled. BTW Your little baby is too cute :)

Gigi said...

N I like the take a break idea. I just don't like being mad all of the time and my kids fighting really bothers me. Thank you about baby!

Michelle said...

Oh, my kids have been fighting too. It seems to happen more the longer our breaks are. Good luck and glad things are going well so far!