Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Counting Apples



Bella is really into numbers and counting so I made this math counting activity that I had seen at My Montessori Journey blog. I went ahead and made the file. Down load it here: the apple counting file. I want to be able to change the pictures Bella counts so I got an apple jpg file from google images.

On the back of each strip, I wrote the number that corresponds to the number of apples. The clothespins have the numbers 1 to 10 on them. The child places the corresponding clothespin to the strip. We count in Spanish and English.

Tips when searching google images
1. go to www.google.com
2. enter what you are looking for and click on "images" at the top left of the screen
3. On the left side of the screen you will see Size, Type and Color. Search for Large images if you plan to make 3 part cards or want big images with nice detail. Choose Icon if you want small pictures like these apples for counting.
4. You can then choose a type. I chose Icon because I did not want real looking apples and wanted them really small.
5. Lastly, you choose color. I always choose Any Color.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Gigi!! Just in time!! you know we are working with counting, #'s and letters, so thank you so much!! I like it!! I supposed that the #'s are on the clothe pins, right???

Gigi said...

Hi Karen,
Yes, that is correct. You put the numbers on the clothespins. The child has to recognize what the number looks like and match it to the correct number of apples.

Bella still does not recognize all of her numbers so she looks on the back where I have written the number and matches them. She is able to count the apples so this will help a lot with number recognition.

Loved Ever said...

I think it works nice to learn the recognisation with pics.
Work From Home India