Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Leaf Study

We began our leaf study when Bella asked me to go with her to pick leaves.
This was over a month ago.  Our study lasted about a month.

Here Bella has her bag of leaves and decided she needed to trace them in her notebook.

Both Bella and Sweet Boy did leaf rubbing. 

Another week I presented the nomenclature - Parts of a Leaf for Elementary Age.
I made this Felt Work for Bella since we do not have a Leaf Puzzle.  This is very simple, great for 3-5 year olds.  I got this work free from Maybe Montessori.
On another week, we reviewed and got leaves to look at the different parts on real leaves.


On a bike ride around the neighborhood we picked lots of leaves and taped them to cards and worked on naming them.  I wrote the names on the back.

On another week we used our leaves to sort by leaf margins, blade shape, and veins.
Leaf margins.  On another day, we reviewed the leaf margins.  I taped them on the door, said the name of the leaf margin and it's definition and we placed the names in it's place and found a leaf to place under it.  We used the magnifying glass to look at the edge closely.  This can be a little tricky!

4 comments:

Lori said...

You have a fantastic blog. I found you through the Homeschool Awards. I was so touched by your blog that I instantly voted for you. I awarded you the "Me Encanta Tu" award here:

http://mymontessorimoments.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/me-encanta-tu-award/

joyce:waddleeahchaa.com said...

We are focusing on leaves by way of "Leaf Man" by Lois Ehlert. I loved all the different learning activities you have done. Stop by waddleeahchaa where two sisters share their ideas on working with young children, homeschooling and our love for great books. This week we are also giving away a set of Wikki Stix. :) joyce

Jen (emsun.org) said...

I love the idea of the felt leaf! I am getting ready to create a felt board and instead of just doing animals and things like that, I'm going to have to break it down and do pieces of the animal/plant with proper names! Such a great idea.

2 Pequeños Traviesos said...

Lovely work! I'm just getting ready to post about our leaf activities. We haven't been able to finish due to OTHER stuff. But its been fun so far.
Hugs