Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Activities with Rocks and the Spanish Calendar!





























The first activity is counting using rocks. I purchased this big bag of rocks for $1 at the Family Dollar Store and the numbers are the numbers you use for the calendars at the teacher store (I just happened to have these numbers otherwise I would have just hand written them). I have 55 rocks to go with the numbers 1-10. We did this activity in Spanish and English. I sat with my son and helped him since it was the first time he had done it and we counted in both languages.

Since I am talking about numbers and Spanish, another activity that I do with the kids to work on their Spanish is the Calendar in Spanish. I purchased the calendar at a teacher store. We do the calendar almost daily. They kids get to change the Month, Day, and put up what day today is, what day tomorrow is, what day was yesterday and what is the weather like today. My 4 year old has got this down now. He also uses the numbers on the calendar to practice his counting in both languages. Here is a picture I took last month of our calendar in our dinning room. I put Velcro circles on the numbers and the other pieces.





























I put the rest of my bag of rocks in a small pink pail ($1 Target dollar section) for my daughter. There is one empty pink pail, some tongs and tweezers and she got a tray to add to the fun! She just pured the rocks from one pail to the other and from the pail to the tray and enjoyed using the tongs to pick up the rocks.
Only problem I had with this activity is that my daughter (2 1/2 years old) wants to put the rocks from the counting activity with her rocks! So, I am going to have to find something else to do the counting work because I am tired of counting 55 rocks :-) By the way, I call these rocks "her rocks" but my son plays with them also!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it. Great activities!

Mada said...

Hola Gigi: Te felicito por tu blog, por tu bebé, por el trabajo que realizas por tus hijos y por la capacidad que tienes para realizar todas tus actividades y siempre ser una gran mamá. Mi hijo es mayor que los tuyos, pero tiene dificultades de aprendizaje, va mas lento que los demás; por eso quisiera consultarte si me puedes recomendar alguna página donde pueda encontrar actividades de matemáticas para un nivel de 5to grado de primaria mas o menos pero que aplique el método montessori (y me expliquen como utilizarlas) para ver que ideas puedo utilizar con él. Muchas gracias de antemano.

Mada said...

Hola Gigi: Te felicito por tu blog, por tu bebé, por el trabajo que realizas por tus hijos y por la capacidad que tienes para realizar todas tus actividades y siempre ser una gran mamá. Mi hijo es mayor que los tuyos, pero tiene dificultades de aprendizaje, va mas lento que los demás; por eso quisiera consultarte si me puedes recomendar alguna página donde pueda encontrar actividades de matemáticas para un nivel de 5to grado de primaria mas o menos pero que aplique el método montessori (y me expliquen como utilizarlas) para ver que ideas puedo utilizar con él. Muchas gracias de antemano.

Gigi said...

Hola Mada,

Mucho gusto en "conocerte"!

Recibi tu mensaje en mi blog. No hay mucho gratis para 5to grado. Te recomiendo este yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cc69m/

Y este yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Montessoritweens/

Y si puedes pagar: estos manuales de instrucciones; http://montessorird.com/index2.php?cPath=2_25_66

Estos empiesan con primer grado pero puedes comprar empezando con el volume #3's. Puedes bajar the table of content para ver donde empesar! Estos son los manuales de instrucciones que you uso.

Espero que te ayude!